A Musical About Medical Marijuana.
I have sure had a number of things on my mind. I am figuring out how to perform without a band, and still keep it interesting. More on that later. Also, I have been working on a musical. I am trying to produce my songs so a playwright can write a script for a Broadway Musical. I am just so far out of my league that I am running in circles and snapping at my tail.
I am working with Coni Congoli Koepfinger who is Associate Director, and Playwright-In-Residence at the Spiral Theatre Studio, New York, who has written over forty plays of which over fourteen have been published. She holds an MA in Literary and Cultural Theory from Carnegie Mellon University. She is very prolific and talented, and a little scary when I realize that it is my work she is scrutinizing. So far it is going very well. To find out more about her check out http://www.doollee.com/PlaywrightsC/ciongoli-koepfinger-coni.html.
She is an amazing writer, and she has a team working with her with a vast array of experience. The Spiral Theatre Studio is the brainchild of Paula J. Riley who is rebirthing the Legacey of her mentor, Iza Itkin, and it is a phenomenal concept in and of itself, and if you are interested in more information about it, I suggest you check out http://www.thespiraltheatrestudio.com/ or http://thespiraltheatrestudio.blogspot.com/ to find out more.
The play, Livin’ the Green Life,” is based on a collection of songs I wrote about four years ago depicting the development of the Medical Marijuana Movement. The songs begin with the bad old days and dark beginnings, and proceed to the Movement it has now become. My lyrics tell stories about fear, death, paranoia, hope, family systems, and the everyday people caught up in the overarching story that is Marijuana.
My idea, originally, was to write my songs and give them to a producer who would then, using studio musicians, develop them into finished, mastered, songs that could be used for a soundtrack. My problem became clear as I attempted to find producers who could do this. I soon discovered that they did not have my particular and peculiar vision for how the songs should be produced. YIKES!!!
What I had produced as rough sketches, were just that, rough sketches. I then needed finished, studio produced, mixed and mastered songs that were complete. I had to learn how to do all that. AND that my friends is what this last year has been about—learning how. Not an easy task, this learning thing, but doable and fun.
I have had to find musicians to play on my songs. I have limited expertise, musically, and need lead guitar players, sitar players, to lay in the tracks for my songs. Finding them has been a trial, but that is getting done.
I have learned that it is I who must decide on what songs to use and how to order them. I had thought that some genius producer would jump in and wave a magic want and get that done in a flash. I am working on the ordering of the story songs to fit an overall movement on meaning as stories within the story.
More on my progress at a later date, but know that I have committed to completion by the end of May or June. I have a series of important meetings from July through the end of Trout season with a number of important rainbow trout, and I do not want to miss out on those stream-side sessions. So onward, forward, charge—tie those flies!